Tuesday, September 15, 2009

holy rollin'

As I have changed residences since the last school year, I've spent the past week trying to decide which school bus is the most effective for getting me to and from school. (The school has over 100 buses that run daily routes all over the city, and students and teachers both travel by school bus.) I've spent some time riding different bus routes and timing them to see which bus gets me home the quickest. One thing I've observed on all these buses (as well as my buses from last year) is the quantity of religious items the bus drivers have on the bus. It's very common to see rosaries hanging from the rear view mirror, or stickers or figurines of saints displayed in the front of the bus. My favorite, however, were the multiple glow-in-the-dark figurines of Jesus as a child that one bus driver displayed. In a very Catholic country, these things are not so uncommon.

0 comments: