Tuesday, October 6, 2009

snacktime

I know, I've been a delinquent blogger. Here's a new tidbit for your reading enjoyment:

Students at my school don't eat lunch. Lunch, here in Ecuador, is the main meal of the day, and is eaten in the middle of the afternoon, usually when students return home from school. Therefore, my students snack a LOT all throughout the day, especially during recesses. Snacks can be anything from a sandwich to fruit or a salad, or the little containers of beans that are mixed with dried crunchy corn kernels (think Corn-Nuts.) Today, as I passed a group of my eighth grade students seated at a picnic table in front of the music building, I stopped to say hello and noticed they had a more unusual snack. When I asked what was in the package, they told me, "hosts"--as in communion hosts. They told me they could be purchased at the big chain supermarket (Supermaxi) but that they were better with Nutella or Arequipe (a type of caramel sauce.)

Perhaps I could petition the Pope to consider changing from communion wine to communion Nutella?

0 comments: