Thursday, February 19, 2009

uninvited guests

Sometimes I forget that I live in a third-world country. Then something usually happens to bring me back to reality. My latest reality check has been in the form of a not-so-pleasant health issue. I'll spare you the details, but for the last three weeks, I had intestinal flare-ups that left me eating next to nothing and feeling lethargic. It would last 12-24 hours, and then I would feel better. By the third incident, I decided I should probably talk to the doctor. Thankfully, we have a doctor on-site at school, which is extremely convenient. I went to her this morning during my prep and explained my situation. She replied that she was 70-80% sure that I had parasitic amoebas living in my intestines. Now if I remember correctly, this is more or less one of the "deadly diseases" from The Oregon Trail computer game (yes, I'm sure you played it too.) Now I have my parasipack of drugs that promises to kill anything and everything inside of me. For some reason, I find this all rather humorous--it's not everyday that you can claim to have amoebas!

p.s. Here we say that if you have amoebas, tu tienes mascotas, which is Spanish for "You have pets." Go figure.

2 comments:

Violingirl800 said...

Well, at least you can say that you are really "eating for two"...haha. Hope you feel better really soon. (The only good pets are ones OUTSIDE your body!)

feistycuffs said...

Could you post the scientific name of the amoebas? I picked up parasitic amoebas in Ecuador, back in 1993, and I suspect I still have them, as I have occasional colic flare ups, plus muscle ache and an itchy scalp. Am researching diagnosis and treatment, but thought it would be helpful if I could narrow down the culprits!

Thanks,
Lis