Wednesday, February 11, 2009

take a picture

For some reason, the stares are really annoying me today. As a blond-haired, blue-eyed, pale-complected gringa living in a Latin American country where most people have at least some indigenous background, I knew I would attract a little attention. Most of the time I do a pretty good job of ignoring the stares, whistles, hisses, and comments, but today for some reason I am agitated. For example, on the school bus ride home today I sat next to a window as usual, but this time, when we had stopped for traffic, I noticed one man sitting outdoors at a nearby restaurant start to stare, and then the other two members of his party turned around and stared as well. Later on, when I hopped on the public transit bus to go to my Spanish lesson, the man standing directly in front of me stood there staring blatantly. I understand that I'm an oddity, that it is considered a compliment to whistle and make comments, but the staring is just leaving me a little unnerved.

0 comments: