Friday, August 22, 2008

major update

What a week it's been!

We've had meetings about safety, health issues, and culture shock, and I've looked at a LOT of apartments. Here's the rundown:

We've spent most of the week apartment-hunting. There are four Ecuadorian ladies from the school who've been our lifesavers and literally have run us all over the city looking for apartments, taking us to buy groceries and bedding, and helping to figure out why cell phones aren't working. Mabel (pronounced Mah-bell) is the mother hen of them all, and always has a smile on her face. Maria Fernanda is my assigned "buddy," and she is so sweet and always so excited to help. Daniella's sarcasm and quick wit took me aback at first, but I've gotten to know her and she's a riot. Belen is the youngest (in fact, she has to be younger than me) and I think she would be a fun friend. All of these women are very beautiful--like so many of the Ecuadorian women I've met. They take a lot of care with their appearance.

Apartment hunting was not easy with a cat, but I finally found a beautiful three-bedroom place that I'm going to share with my friend, Jenny. I know I had debated the pros and cons of a roommate, and then being here I felt that I wasn't quite ready to be isolated on my own in a single apartment. Jenny and I get along really well, and I think it is going to be just fine. (Plus, our place is HUGE!) The apartment is three bedrooms located next to La Carolina park, a major park in the middle of the city. One of the best malls is just three short blocks away, and there are shops and restaurants all around the building. We have the entire floor--the elevator opens up directly into the apartment. The view is amazing from every room.

The view of the park from the living room

the living room (that's a mural in the background)

la cocina (the picture doesn't show how big it is)

mi cuarto
(I am getting a new bedspread and repainting. There is some ugly sponge painting on one wall.)

I'm really happy with the place, and can't wait to finish moving in today. (thanks to Jenny for all the pictures.)

I'll wrap this up with a picture of more or less the whole group of new teachers. I can't believe I'm really here and this is really happening! It's been a great first week, and I can't wait to get out to the school next week and get settled into a routine.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! The apartment looks beautiful, especially the view. I am really excited for you and can hardly wait to see it/you over Christmas.

Have a happy day and enjoy this new chapter in your life.
Momma

Hilary said...

Wow, that is quite a mural you have, no lack of color in your living space! O lay!
The view is awesome, and being close to the best Mall sounds so up your alley.
Glad to hear you have found a nice place and you are settling in well!