Sunday, July 6, 2008

packing and selling my life

My mom came up for the long weekend to help me sort through my things and price stuff for the yard sale. It was fantastic to have some help--I was really overwhelmed by everything, plus I am terrible at pricing. I would hold something up and ask her what price she thought I should ask, and most of the time her price was twice what I was thinking. For example:

Me: (holding up a set of wooden spoons) How much should I ask? $.50?
Mom: No, those are nice. Ask $1.00. People will buy a pop from a vending machine for $1.00, so they should be able to spend a dollar on nice wooden spoons.

That was the way basically all the pricing happened--Mom kept referencing purchases that people would make for $.25, $.50, or $1.00. I guess I am just selling my life short. Oddly enough, it was not sad to pack up this stuff and think about selling it.

Mom also took a carload home of stuff that I am saving, mainly books, photos, and a few random Christmas decorations. I still have three weeks left in my apartment, so I kept some necessities like dishes and cookware. It was a good weekend, and I am feeling so much more on top of things now. Next week my dad, sister, and nephew are coming to get my furniture, which I am "loaning" to her while I am out of the country. I'm super excited about my nephew coming to visit--he's three and so much fun. The following weekend is my yard sale, so things are really starting to move quickly, no pun intended :)

0 comments: