Thursday, November 13, 2008

yum?

Here in Ecuador, the main meal of the deal is typically eaten at lunchtime, and usually consists of soup, rice, vegetables, an entree of some variety, dessert, and juice. Our school cafeteria serves a really nice lunch everyday, with all of the aforementioned items for $2.00, and the food is really good. (Note: our school cafeteria actually cooks food, unlike most of the cafeterias in the States that now just heat-up or deep-fry.) I try to take advantage of the good meals several days a week. Tuesday, when I went in for lunch, I noticed the two choices were fried fish and guatita. As I'm not a big fried fish-fan, I opted for the unknown other choice called guatita. My roommate, Andrew, was in line behind me, and when he saw my plate, he said, "You got the guatita? Do you know what that is?" I replied that I didn't, but that I didn't really like fried fish. Then I asked him what it was. He refused to tell me, but said that he does eat it from time to time, and that I should tell an Ecuadorian today that I ate guatita. Feeling a little paranoid, I ran into another friend as I was leaving who has been here before and knows a lot about the culture. I asked her if she knew what guatita was, and she replied, "um, yes, it's intestines." I did not eat my entire lunch that day.

1 comments:

gramsued said...

Guatita won't be on our Thanksgiving menu. Here in the states we call them chittlins!