Tuesday, April 14, 2009

and the money keeps rolling out

Well, I had some success shopping here in Buenos Aires--I now have two new pairs of ballet flats, which had been pretty high on my list of wants. The shopping is not as fantastic as I had hoped (this always seems to be the case) and prices are sometimes high. It's especially difficult as pesos are 3 to 1 with the dollar, which might seem to help but instead gives you sticker shock every time. Since we are far into the Southern Hemisphere, the stores here are fully stocked with fall/winter items, but my brain is thinking summer in the States. I guess it's probably better for my bank account that I'm not loving everything I see.

Last night we went to a Tango show, which is pretty much a must-see here in BA. The dancing was terrific, but the singers (one female in particular) were not. If you know me, you can imagine my reactions, but let's just say I was making faces and groaning every time she walked onstage. Today we went to the cemetary in Recoleta to see Eva Peron's mausoleum, and then to the Museo de Bellas Artes, which had a small European collection but at least one Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, and one of my favorite sculptures by Rodin.

Side note: the cafes here rock. We stop in all the time for a cappuccino or glass of wine in the afternoons. It reminds me a lot of Italy: pasta-heavy menus, always a basket of bread on the table, and bottles of agua con gas with every meal. I'm sure I'll miss that when I return to Quito.

0 comments: