Tuesday, June 10, 2008

no habla espanol/ingles

Today's task was to call the Ecuadorian consulate in Chicago to set up an appointment for my visa. The phone call went something like this:

Male voice: Hola.
Me: Hello?
Male voice: ahh uno momento...
Female voice: Hello.
Me: Hi, I will be traveling to Ecuador this fall and I need a cultural exchange visa. Do I need an appointment, or should I just come to the consulate?
Female voice: Yes es necesito to make an appointment. When you come?
Me: Next Friday the 20th.
Female voice: This week?
Me: No, next week.
Female voice: Okay 9:00 next Friday.

So I did not get the chance to ask the fifty million questions I had about what I needed to bring, including the very important question about whether or not I need to have Tobey's paperwork from the vet with me. This was a good lesson for me to learn--I need to be more prepared for the language barrier. It also reminds me that my Spanish is going to be just as elementary, and I need to be patient now because I will be hoping for the same patience in a few months. I will definitely be prepared to speak with them in Spanish next Friday--time to do some translating!

I am starting the Grand Sorting of Clothing today. I will try to post some photos of the ridiculousness soon.

2 comments:

Mrs. Klink said...

ahhhh yes...the sorting of clothing. it is in full force at my house. no signs of letting up anytime soon. i love your blog, by the way. it's such a great way to keep up!!

Mrs. Klink said...

p.s. i'm reading/using a great book called "The Expert Expat". have you heard of it?